It's almost time to start thinking about opening up your cottage. There are several important things to consider when opening your cottage and electrical safety is one of them. HydroOne has created a list of safety tips when opening your cottage.
- Inspect the power line. If a wire is down on the ground, stay at least one bus length away and call Hydro One’s power emergency line immediately at 1-800-434-1235.
- Check your electricity meter for damage. Call Hydro One at 1-888-664-9376 if there is damage.
- Look at interior wiring for visible signs of gnawing from animals. If wiring is damaged, turn off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse to that circuit and call an electrician to arrange for repairs.
- Check electrical cords and plugs for damage. Never use cords that are worn or damaged.
- Fill your water tank before switching the power on to avoid damage to your water heater element.
- Keep all branch circuits in the off position until you have opened the main switch. Then, energize individual circuits one at a time.
- Make sure tree branches are trimmed well away from your power line to avoid unnecessary power outages and safety hazards, Always hire a qualified contractor to prune trees near your power line. Hydro One will disconnect the power supply to your property once a year, at no charge, so that any maintenance along or near your power line can be performed safety.
If you would like to read the whole article, click here.